Knowledge Centre

Latest News & Case Studies

Domestic Electrician vs. Commercial Electrician – Are They Different?

May 8, 2021

Electricity provides us with everything we need to live — lighting, heating and power — yet it is also dangerous.
A poor electrical installation can cause a lot of damage, such as fires, electric shocks and power surges which damage equipment.

For this reason, we can’t stress enough that you really need to hire a qualified electrician to carry out your electrical work.

A lot of people ask me this…!

Does it matter whether you select a commercial or domestic electrician?

Always my answer is:
Well, that depends on the work you require!

Domestic Electrical Services

A qualified domestic electrician will be trained to ‘Part P’ level (you can request to see their Part P registration).
This covers wiring regulations and competence in a range of inspection, testing, installation and rerouting, along with the replacement of electrical components that are required in residential settings.

A qualified domestic electrician would be suitably trained to undertake such jobs as:

  • Full kitchen wiring, including the installation of appliances
  • Lighting design and installation (for interior and outdoor settings)
  • Bathroom wiring, including the installation of underfloor heating and electric radiators
  • The installation of additional sockets, switches or charging points
  • Fuse box repairs or replacements

It is important that your electrician provides an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) for any work they carry out.
Check that this will be included as part of the service before deciding on who to hire. Keep it in a safe place when it is provided, it will be required if you ever decide to move house.

Domestic Electrician for Landlords, even more nowadays, with the EICR requirements.

For landlords, a domestic electrician can also provide the necessary electrical inspection and testing on your rental property. They will provide an Electrical Safety Certificate when they are assured that everything is safe and compliant.
Whilst a landlord with rental properties is running a business, this is the only type of commercial work that should be undertaken by a domestic electrician. Work in shops, offices, schools, factories and public buildings needs to be carried out by a commercial electrician.

Commercial Electrical Services
The qualifications required to become a commercial electrician are more demanding because the individual will need to undertake a broader spectrum of electrical services.

A new office complex might need air conditioning, electrical heating, emergency lighting and voice & data cabling. Other requirements could include:

  • Fuse boards and 3 Phase Electrical Wiring Installations
  • Electrical inspection and testing (PAT testing)
  • Fitting and testing of fire alarms and security lighting
  • Commercial Electrician for Residential Work

The qualifications and experience needed to provide commercial electrical services mean that the electrician will be competent in undertaking any domestic tasks.
Some companies/electricians will choose to focus solely on commercial work, but others, including EMS ELECTRICAL, enjoy the variety of working in both homes and businesses.

If you want to rewire your kitchen as part of property renovation in Reading or the surrounding areas, or are keen to make an impact with lighting in your Henley-on-Thames retail unit for example, EMS ELECTRICAL is your local, fully qualified, insured and licensed electrician.

We are also on hand to provide annual electrical inspection and testing for businesses throughout Berkshire.

Get in touch today to arrange a FREE, no-obligation quote on 01183 593 362 or [email protected].

Read other articles

Do I Need a Rewire? Let’s start with: What’s an Electrical Rewire?

Every domestic property or commercial/industrial premises has a wiring system that powers all inside the property. As with anything, your electrical system will gradually wear and tear, especially with the electrical load average we have nowadays.

With time your electrical installation will need to be replaced to ensure it’s safe, meets the latest regulations and works at maximum efficiency. In a nutshell, rewiring involves the replacement of all wiring and upgrading the consumer unit.

Can I have a Hot Tub installed in my property?

Of course you can! However, there are things to consider: The electric supply for a hot tub indoors or outdoors must be installed by a fully qualified electrician. The hot tub installation must conform to the current BS:7671 of the electrical wiring regulations and...

What do I need to know to wire a garden office?

By Vicente Romano, Managing Director, EMS Electrical Many people find that a shed is a great place to work on DIY projects, have a dedicated space for hobbies or simply for storage. However, since these outbuildings are not connected to the mains power of the home, if...

Cost Of Replacing Consumer Units and its Benefits in Reading

Consumer Unit Replacement in Reading Berkshire varies based on many factors. If you are thinking either to replace a consumer unit or to upgrade to a more recent one in Reading, the cost can depend on 4 main factors: type of consumer unit required; number of circuits...

Commercial Electricians Services in Reading

Electrical contractors, electricians, commercial electricians. Industrial electricians, domestic electricians, sparks, any way you want to refer to us, the electricians at EMS Electrical have been hard at work providing commercial and industrial electrical contracting...

Rewiring a House – Reading Electrician

Rewiring a house is a major undertaking that can significantly improve the safety and functionality of your home. However, it’s also a sizable investment that requires careful planning and budgeting. With so many factors to consider, including the size of your home...

LED Lighting Upgrades

Do you need better, more efficient lighting in your commercial or industrial building? Is your existing lighting costing you money in maintenance and electric bills whilst still not producing adequate lighting for your working conditions? Have you considered the...

Electrical Hazards at Home, in Reading and the surrounding areas

Research recently published by the national electrical safety body, the NICEIC, has found that the public are mostly unaware of the electrical hazards which may face them at home. Householders that were questioned had electrical hazards in their homes including:...

Can we help you? Of course we can…

So, if you think we can help you with your electrical enquires for your commercial or industrial
premises, give us a call on 0118 3593362 or drop us an email to [email protected]

Our experienced and knowledgeable electricians or our office manager would be happy to advise you
on the best way to achieve your objectives. Alternatively, check out our Knowledge Centre for more
information on the many services we provide, or ask about our FREE visual inspection.

Trusted electrical contractors for Reading, High Wycombe, Caversham, Henley-on-Thames, Tilehurst, Wokingham and the surrounding areas.


Average score based on 15 reviews in the last 12 months
125 Total reviews

google rating
NICEIC Approved Contractor
Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce
Part P Electrical Safety
Registered competent person
NICEIC Domestic Installer